Guide To Buying Gym Flooring
Flooring mats are necessary to protect your floors, your equipment, and yourself. They cancel any noise vibrations, absorb impact, thus helping you avoid serious injury, and lastly, they provide traction for the equipment to prevent any slippage while you’re using it.
What To Look for
Choose rubber blend or horse stall mats depending on your budget.
Look for rubber blend floors as they provide a smooth base to rise back from and take the strain away from your joints by absorbing the shock from your movements. They will be able to absorb noise and impact without you having to compromise on your session in any way. Rubber flooring should also be able to protect the subfloor due to their thickness and durability.
If you’re on a tight budget, you can look into horse stall mats made with high-quality recycled crumb rubber but know that the material has a pungent smell that takes time to go away. Furthermore, horse stall mats are also prone to coming up at the seams if you jump around on them too much and are prone to collecting dust.
If you have concrete floors in your garage, use water resistant flooring.
- A garage floor tends to accumulate moisture, making it cold and uncomfortable, especially when your exercises require contact with the floor.
- Go for thick, water-resistant flooring with insulative qualities so that it can stabilize the temperature of your concrete floor so that you have a comfy workout surface for yourself.
Consider the ease of installation if you’re going at it alone.
- If you’re installing the flooring alone, look for lighter mats that you can manage by yourself as a single worker.
- If you’re installing mats made from heavy materials, they will require more than one person for installation. Rubber mats will need a few hands for the set-up.
Best Gym Flooring Mat Overall
ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Mat
For $28.79 For 24 Sq. Feet
- Waterproof layer makes it perfect for the garage
- High-density foam
- Easy to put together
- Comes up at the seams if there’s a lot of jumping around
Best Gym Flooring Mat For Heavy Equipment
BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat
For $29.96 For 24 Sq. Feet
- 1” thickness makes it suitable for heavy equipment
- Absorbs noise and vibration
- Easy to install
- Heavy dumbbells will dent the mat if left on it for a long time
Best Heavy-Duty Mat
Rubber-Cal Shark Tooth Heavy Duty Mat
For $40.09 For 6 Sq. Feet
- Great shock absorption
- Very expensive compared to other mats
- Heavy, tough to install by yourself
- 1. https://www.greatmats.com/exercise-flooring/what-kind-of-floor-should-I-exercise-on.php
- 2. https://wholesale.rdxsports.com/blog/how-to-choose-the-perfect-commercial-gym-flooring-2017
- 3. https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/buyers-guide/home-gym.html
- 4. https://www.greatmats.com/gym-flooring-buyers-guide.php
- 5. https://breakingmuscle.com/reviews/a-comprehensive-guide-to-gym-flooring