Guide To Buying A Bench Press Rack
Whether you’re setting up a full-fledged home gym or want to get the maximum bang for your buck from as little equipment as possible, it is almost always necessary to have a bench press rack. To select the right bench press rack, ensure it has an adequately high weight rating and a stable frame.
What To Look for
The attached bench must have a high weight rating.
- Most bench press racks have a connected bench that has a weight rating assigned to it.
- To calculate the weight capacity you need, account for the maximum weight you’ll be lifting, and add your body weight to it.
- The weight rating should ideally exceed the figure by at least 50 lbs to keep the bench from collapsing when you’re lifting.
Multiple bar holders will make it easier to un-rack the bar.
- Try to find with a rack with multiple or adjustable bar holders so you can lift the bar from a comfortable position.
- Multiple bar holders are also useful if more than one person will be using the rack.
- If the weight is too heavy, extending your arms very far back or high to get the barbell or un-racking the barbell from too close to your chest can cause you to lose control of the bar and lead to injury.
Heavy racks are better because they remain stable.
- The rack and bench must be made from heavy gauge steel so that they don’t wobble.
- Beginners will find it relatively challenging to balance the bar the first few times, and it helps if the bench remains stable during the movement.
- Additionally, a steady bench will help develop the lifter’s confidence, allowing them to gradually increase the weight on the bar.
5. Best Bench Press Rack For Commercial Gyms
Hammer Strength Olympic Flat Bench
- Reasonable price for commercial grade bench press
- 3 bar holders
- Stable frame
- Supportive bench
- Plenty of color choices
- Takes a while to ship
Best Bench Press Rack For Home Gyms
Ader Olympic Bench Press
- High quality construction
- Comes with Olympic bar and plates
- Ergonomic bar holders to easily rack and un-rack the bar
- Shipping cost is expensive
Best Bench Press Rack On A Budget
Valor Fitness BF-7 Olympic Bench
- Very comfortable bench
- Doesn’t scratch the floor
- Reasonably Priced
Best Multipurpose Rack
SML-2 ROGUE 90" MONSTER LITE
- Works as a squat & bench press rack
- Heavy gauge steel frame has excellent durability
- 1,000 lbs weight capacity
- Flat bench costs an extra $179