Guide To Buying A Suspension Trainer
Suspension training involves using your body weight to train with suspended rope-like straps with handles at either end. Though it is a relatively new phenomenon that doesn’t deny its benefits as it is generally regarded as a great workout to build your stabilizer muscles, increase strength, and even get in some low impact cardio.
What To Look for
Rubber Handles vs. Foam handles
- Handles are available in rubber and foam. The material you need to use depends on how much you tend to sweat during your workout.
- If you are prone to excessive sweating when you’re training, rubber handles will be better for you than foam as rubber will keep your hands from slipping.
- Foam handles are far more comfortable on the wrist joints but do not have the non-slip properties of rubber handles.
The straps should have adjustable buckles.
- Since you’re presumably going to be performing multiple exercises on the suspension trainer, ensure the straps have buckles to easily and quickly adjust their length.
- This convenient adjustment system will keep you from wasting time and letting your body cool down before you can begin your next exercise.
Get an extender if you have very high ceilings.
- If your ceiling height is significantly more than the length of your straps, you will need to use an extender.
- An extender is essentially an appended strap that connects the ceiling to the main suspension trainer to increase its length.
The straps must have a high weight capacity.
- The strap is the most crucial part of the suspension trainer and must be tightly webbed with high-quality materials.
- Considering that you will be exerting enormous amounts of pressure on the straps, the last thing you want is for them to snap while you’re using the suspension trainer.
- The suspension trainer should ideally have at least 300 – 350 lbs of weight capacity.
Best Suspension Trainer Overall
TRX Training BASIC kit
- Comfortable Handles
- 350 lbs weight capacity
- Quick and easy to adjust
Best Suspension Trainer For Commercial Gyms
- 1,300 lbs weight rating
- Unrivaled construction quality
- Highly customizable
- Includes TRX extender for high ceilings
- Antimicrobial coating
Best Suspension Trainer On A Budget
Lifeline Jungle Gym XT
- Straps can be anchored separately
- Easy to clean handles
- Inexpensive price
- Awkward adjustment mechanism
Q:Do I need to purchase a wall bracket/door anchor separately?
Most of the products come with door and suspension anchors. As long as you have a sturdy door, you don’t need to purchase a bracket separately. If you’re not confident about the sturdiness, you’re better off purchasing an anchor for safety. Give it a few tugs to see if it’s secure. Also, if you’re tying it to a door, make sure that the door opens away from you.
Q:At what height should I mount the suspension trainer?
You should mount it above your head. So, anything between 6 and 9 feet from the ground is fine. Ideally, you should keep the anchor point high enough so that the straps dangle at least six inches above the ground.
Q:Can I mount it to a tree?
The trainers are durable and can be mounted on trees if you wish to exercise outside. However, ensure that the tree is strong and sturdy enough. Give the suspension trainer some tugs and practice some exercise to test the sturdiness.
Q:Can I connect these to my existing gym setup?
Yes, you can! Just make sure that the equipment is sturdy enough. Use your judgment to find out the best anchor points that are safe.
Q:What is TRX?
TRX stands for Total-body Resistance Exercise. These exercises work on your core by utilizing your body weight. The exercises utilize the TRX straps (suspension trainers) that you can anchor to any secure spot. The exercises work on almost every part of your body; your biceps, triceps, abs, delts, chest, and back in the upper body, and your quads, thighs, glutes, hips, hamstrings, and calves in your lower body.
Q:What exercises can I perform using the suspension trainers?
There are so many! You can work several muscles of your body by performing various suspension exercises. Some of the most effective ones are:
- Atomic Push-ups, where you place your feet into the cradle and do push-ups. This activates your upper body and core.
- Tricep Extension, where you hold the straps, stand away from the TRX, lean forwards, and extend your arms to activate your triceps.
- Bicep Curls, where you grab the handles, lean away, and pull the handles towards you to activate your biceps.
- Inverted Rows, where you lie under the TRX with knees bent and holding the handles with your arms extended. You then bend your elbows and pull up your body so that it is aligned from shoulder to knee.
Q:Will suspension training help me bulk up?
Suspension trainers help build lean muscle, but they won’t help you build huge muscle mass. The exercise certainly helps build muscle endurance and improves stability. The best part about suspension trainers is that they’re cheap and you can do virtually every exercise using them. So, if you wish to keep in shape and build some lean muscle in the process, suspension trainers are a good choice. TRX training is not a replacement for weight training, but it is an excellent training tool all the same.
- 1. https://garagegymbuilder.com/suspension-trainer-guide/
- 2. https://fitbodybuzz.com/best-suspension-trainer-buying-guide/#tab-con-4
- 3. https://runnerclick.com/best-suspension-trainer/
- 4. https://protips.dickssportinggoods.com/sports-and-activities/exercise-and-fitness/pro-tips-guide-to-suspension-training
- 5. https://www.fitandme.com/best-suspension-trainer-reviews/