Guide To Buying Arch Supports
As their name suggests, arch supports are meant to offer support to your arches and help you maintain a foot position that distributes pressure evenly throughout your foot. The even pressure distribution will help alleviate the pains and aches in your foot caused by being on your feet all the time.
What To Look for
Look for arch supports that assist your arch type specifically.
- There are three types of arches, namely medium arches, low arches, and high arches. To know your arch type:
- Dip your feet into water and then step onto a brown paper bag or cardboard so that you can see your footprint.
- If your footprint is half-way filled, with a noticeable curve along the arch, you have normal arches so arch supports that snugly hug your heels are best for you.
- If you see your toes, heels, and ball of the foot without much in between, then you have high arches and should go arch supports with heel seats that relieve the pressure on the ball of your foot and heel.
- If you see your whole foot without an inward curve along the middle, you have low arches (flat feet), in which case go for supports that provide a slight but supportive lift to your entire foot.
Necessary checks and balances for arch supports.
- The insole should not just cater to the arch area but support the rest of the foot too.
- They need to be lightweight so that they don’t weigh down your steps.
- They need to be breathable enough to prevent any microbial infection and odor.
Gel vs. Rubber
You need to choose the material based on how often and how you plan to use arch supports.
- Supports like gel-insoles might be prone to leaking or bursting but are comfortable as they adapt to the shape of your feet faster and prevent odor.
- Regular insoles made of rubber and cloth blends are more durable and effortless to clean. Rubber insoles also are more affordable than gel insoles.
Best Arch Supports For Regular Arches
Powerstep Full Length Orthotic Shoe Insoles Original
- Absorbs shock
- Versatile, can be used with athletic, casual, and dress shoes
- Easy to switch from shoe to shoe
- Can squeak inside the shoe
Best Arch Support For Flat Feet
Physix Gear Sport Full Length Orthotic Inserts with Arch Support
- Antibacterial top layer
- Anti-slip material helps your foot stay in place inside the shoe
- Soft texture makes the shoe even more comfortable
- Women’s sizes can run large
Best Arch Support for High Arches
Superfit Green Insoles
- Deep and wide heel cups are perfect for high arches
- High-density foam construction makes it durable
- Odour Resistant sizes can run large
Best Arch Support For Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar Fasciitis Feet Insoles Arch Supports Orthotics Inserts
- Good choice for athletes as it provides appropriate cushioning
- Good value for money
- Durable TPU material made for everyday use
- Thick, not a good fit for formal shoes